Last Updated: February 1, 2023
Effective Date: April 1, 2023
Allegory is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your Personal Information. The information you share with Allegory allows us to provide you with the best experience with our products and services. We have a dedicated privacy program that protects all the Personal Information we collect and helps ensure that we handle Personal Information lawfully worldwide.
Since transparency is one of our core values, we have prepared this Privacy Notice to communicate with our users whether they are our customers or not. Please read below to learn how we collect, process, use, store, and disclose Personal Information.
In this Privacy Notice (the “Notice”), we, our, or us, refers to Allegory Technology Inc. and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and employees. We own and operate the ‘www.allegoryinsurance.com’ and 'www.allegoryapp.com' and 'www.allegory.app' websites and ‘the Allegory App’ mobile application (collectively the “Service” or “Services”). We are a technology company that is federally incorporated under the laws of Canada, and located at Toronto - Exchange Tower, 130 King Street West, Suite 1800, Toronto, ON M5X 1W3, Canada.
We collect Personal Information that is limited to fulfill our business needs and is managed by fair and lawful means only.
We get your information from
- Your input, your mobile device, and your digital prints by using our website
- Third parties (such as data service providers)
- Governmental authorities (when applicable)
- Other parties for whom you have provided your consent
- As otherwise permitted or required by law
Types of personal and non-personal information we process
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Services to you. Below is the list of personally identifiable and non-identifiable data points. Some of the data points may not be applicable to you.
- Your email address
- Your first name, middle name and last name
- Your date of birth
- Your mobile phone number
- Your profile photo
- Your driver’s license
- Your location (GPS) data
- Your IP address, cookie identifier, your browser type, browser version, the pages of our
- Services that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data
- Your home address and mailing address
- Mobile phone numbers of other drivers in your household
- Your mobile phone’s accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer data
- Your current insurance status and current insurance company, if applicable
- The number of vehicles you have and the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of each vehicles
- Other data that we ask your explicit consent before we collect
We use this data to
- Confirm your identity
- Create an account for you to manage your trips, and build your insurance score
- Detect your trips automatically based on the change in your location and speed
- Show your past trips and driving events on an interactive map
- Calculate your Driving Score
- Retrieve other crucial data regarding your trips such as weather conditions, road types, and traffic volume
- Send location-based emergency notifications to protect you against known or expected hazards
- Better understand your insurance and service needs
- Administer your quotation and insurance policy
- Market or remarket a product or Service, either directly, or through our partners, affiliates, third-party service providers, or advertisers
- Improve our business by performing statistical and actuarial analyses
- Communicate with you
- Detect and prevent fraud
- Detect, prevent and address technical issues
- Educate our employees and monitor their performance for quality assurance
We protect your information by
- Implementing physical, organizational, contractual and technological security measures to protect your Personal Information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification
- Only granting need-to-know access to your Personal Information
- Requiring all employees to sign a Code of Business Conduct that includes a statement confirming their understanding of, and adherence to, this Notice
Transfer and disclosure of your Personal Information
Unless you consent explicitly, or the laws compel us, we do not share your Personal Information. We keep it until it serves our business purposes, or you request to have it removed from our records, whichever comes first. Personal information that is no longer required to fulfil the identified business purposes is destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
Your information may be transferred to and maintained on computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction. The data protection laws may be different from those from your jurisdiction. If you are located outside Canada and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Information, to Canada and process it there. Your consent to this Privacy Notice followed by your submission of such information represents your agreement to that transfer.
We will take all the steps reasonably necessary to ensure that we treat your data securely. We will not transfer your Personal Information to an organization or a country unless there are adequate controls in place, including the security of your data and other Personal Information.
We may disclose your Personal Information in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of us
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- Protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- Protect against legal liability
We may transfer Personal Information in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale involving all or part of our business or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control.
Moreover, they do not hold any of your personally identifiable information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or when it will send a cookie. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Services.
Performance, advertising and targeting Cookies
We may use standard tracking technologies like browser cookies, analytical tools, or other technologies. We use them to customize our website, mobile and social interactions as they relate to our brand as well as behavioural targeting. These technologies may also collect non-personally identifiable demographic information (such as age, sex, and city/province location). Through their use, we can enhance your experience on third-party websites and mobile apps. We can also tailor advertising and content that may be most relevant to you.
You can change your cookie settings at any time within your browser’s privacy settings.
This Notice and our internal privacy policies do not apply to the privacy practices of third-party sites. Read the privacy policies or notices of other websites carefully as we are not able to affect third-party sites.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
Google Analytics collects cookies to gather information about how visitors use our website. The data is collected anonymously, and reports are compiled, including the number of visitors, time on page, and what pages were visited. Visit Google Service Use
for more information on how Google uses information or install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on
to understand your controls or to opt-out.
Facebook uses information based on your activity on websites or apps to show you ads for interest-based advertising. Visit Facebook Ad Preferences
to manage your settings.
We advertise on other partner websites to deliver customized ads we think you’ll find interesting. We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services. If you would like to opt-out of these customized ads, visit the links below.
Our Services do not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children have provided us with Personal Information, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Information from Children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We may update our Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new Privacy Notice on this page. We will let you know via email or a prominent notice on our Service, before the change becoming effective and update the “effective date” at the top of this Privacy Notice. We advise you to review this Privacy Notice periodically for any changes. Changes to this Privacy Notice are effective when we post it on this page.
If you have any comments, questions, concerns or complaints regarding your Personal Information, our practices, or this Notice, please contact us:
Allegory Technology Inc.
Toronto Exchange Tower
130 King Street West, Suite 1800, Toronto, ON M5X 2A2
If you wish to opt-out of Commercial Electronic Messages, you may send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org
One last thing...
Your safety is important to us as much as your privacy and protection of your Personal Information. Please do not use any hand-held device neither for a quick phone call, nor texting, nor accessing to our Services while driving. Using such tools is prohibited in most countries, states, and provinces by laws. Therefore, you should acknowledge that if you violate such laws, we will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages or losses.